September 5, 2012 § Leave a comment
It’s been a while since we shared a recipe with you, dear readers. Why not combine inspiration in the kitchen with inspiration on your knitting needles?
We love the contrast of our Whipped Cream Hat & Cowl pattern in our Simply Sweet Book 3 with Nora Ephron’s Frozen Key Lime Pie recipe, courtesy of Martha Stewart. Key lime pie is Nadine’s favorite so we wanted to share with you!
- 1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs, (about 15 crackers)
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 6 large egg yolks
- 1 cup freshly squeezed key lime juice
- 2 cans (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 1 tablespoon finely grated Key lime zest
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Nora Ephron’s Whipped Cream, or Meringue, for serving
- Meringue Topping, optional, for serving
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Combine the cracker crumbs and butter in a medium bowl, and mix until moist. Evenly press mixture into a 9-inch pie plate, and bake until lightly browned, about 12 minutes. Remove from oven, and transfer to a wire rack until completely cooled.
- In a medium heatproof bowl, whisk the yolks and lime juice together until combined. Set bowl over a saucepan of simmering water, and cook, whisking constantly, until mixture is foamy and registers 160 degrees on an instant-read thermometer, about 6 minutes. Remove bowl from heat, and whisk in condensed milk and zest until well combined. Pour into cooled pie shell and smooth top with a rubber spatula. Freeze until firm, 3 hours.
- Remove pie from freezer 10 minutes before serving. Combine cream and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment. Whisk on medium speed until soft peaks form, 2 to 3 minutes. Spread evenly over pie, and serve immediately.
- Remove pie from freezer 5 minutes before serving. Spread whipped cream or meringue evenly over pie. If using meringue, brown the top with a small kitchen torch, or carefully under the broiler. Serve immediately.